Monday, February 23, 2015

Music Library FINAL Catch-Up: Ts, Vs, Ws, and Ys




Teenage Fanclub - The King (1991). Uncharacteristically heavy-rockin' album from the indie pop maestros that was deleted on the same day it was released. It's actually really good, although it doesn't sound like Teenage Fanclub at all.

Thee Oh Sees - Dog Poison (2009), Singles Collection Vol. 1+2 (2008-11), Moon Sick EP (2013), Singles Collection Vol. 3 (2013), Drop (2014). These guys are so damn good. The last two of these are among the finest things they've done.

They Might Be Giants - Flood (1990) and Here Come The ABCs (2006). My wife and kids love TMBGs much more than I do.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak (1976) and Bad Reputation (1977). There's a certain critical consensus about the greatness of this band and these albums that led to me picking them up, but, y'know, while I like this music just fine, it's not a revelation to my ears or anything.

Richard and Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights (Rhino Homemade Edition) (1982). Because I cannot stop buying copies of this album for some odd reason.

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats (1979). I'm have more interest in hearing the roots of electronica and industrial music than I have in actually listening to it.

Through The Sparks - Invisible Kids (2014). I've talking about how much I like this Birmingham, AL band before, but I think this is the best thing they've done, a slightly psychedelic take on 70s-era Laurel Canyon cocaine-rock.

Throwing Muses - Red Heaven (1992) and University (1995). I enjoyed these albums back in the day, but just recently got around to getting digital copies.

Tindersticks - Tindersticks (1993) and Tindersticks [II] (1995). I wish I had listened to these guys back in the day, but I didn't pick these up until recently. Just lovely chamber-pop that's absolutely besotted with Scott Walker's late-60s albums.

Toots and the Maytals - Toots In Memphis (1988). The reggae master mostly playing Memphis soul music.

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (1970), The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (1971), and Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory (1973). I liked these albums a lot when I was a teenager, so when my friend offered me copies, I said yes. And it was interesting hearing them again, especially in light of some of these musicians' later connection to the late-70s (read: lousy) Can albums. But I was overall kind of bored by them.

Sharon Van Etten - Are We There (2014). This was a great recommendation from a friend. I like this a ton.

Versus - The Stars Are Insane (1994) and Dead Leaves (1995). Versus was such a great band. I only saw them once, opening for Yo La Tengo, but they were on fire. Since some of their albums are out of print, I have a standing policy to pick up any used Versus albums I find.

Dean Wareham - Dean Wareham (2014). While Wareham has been sorta out from behind his bands with all of the Dean & Britta releases, this is the first time he doesn't even have his wife for a crutch, but he still rocks.

Doc Watson - Doc Watson (1964). Love these Doc Watson albums from the 60s.

The White Noise - An Electric Storm (1969). Experimental bands from the 60s may be great and may be terrible and sometimes are both on the same album, as this album proves.

Webb Wilder - Hybrid Vigor (1989) and Doo Dad (1991). Man, I had both of these on vinyl back in the 90s. Wonder what happened to those? Anyway, Wilder is a hoot, as always.

The Wondermints - The Wondermints (1996). These guys became Brian Wilson's backing band on the Pet Sounds and SMiLE reboots, and they sound like Wilson acolytes here.

Wooden Shjips - Back To Land (2013). Typically excellent release from these guys.

Wussy - Wussy (2009) and Attica (2014). Attica was my number one album for last year and Wussy, if I had owned it at the time, would have been my number one album for 2009, because I think it's even better. These guys are so fantastic, and I intend to keep building my collection of their work.

Dwight Yoakam - dwightyoakamacoustic.net (2000). Interesting all-acoustic re-recording of Yoakam's best songs. Makes a very strong argument for the strength of the man's work and legacy.

2 comments:

Joe Victor 9:06 PM, February 23, 2015  

I'm not sure how many copies of Shoot Out the Lights I have. Three, four?

Hayden Childs 12:34 AM, February 26, 2015  

Like!

My photo
Cary, NC, United States
reachable at firstname lastname (all run together) at gmail dot com

About This Blog

From Here To Obscurity, founded ca. 2003, population 1. The management wishes to emphasize that no promises vis-a-vis your entertainment have been guaranteed and for all intents and purposes, intimations of enlightenment fall under the legal definition of entertainment. No refunds shall be given nor will requests be honored. Although some may ask, we have no intention of beginning again.

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP